Canada is best known for its beautiful natural landscapes and diverse flora and fauna. The ‘Kermode bear,’ also known as the spirit bear is a genetically unique animal found in this country.
Let us now learn some interesting facts about this creature.
- The spirit bear is actually a rare subspecies of the American black bear.
- Discovered by Francis Kermode and therefore named after him.
- The color is due to a double recessive gene unique in the subspecies
- Estimates state that fewer than 400 spirit bears exist today
- It only weighs about half a pound at birth, like most black bears.
- They can run up to 55 km an hour!
- Males can weigh 225 kg or more while females only weigh up to a maximum of 135 kg.
- They mostly live on fish and berries, but also eat deer, carrion, plants, fruits and insects.
- Spirit bears are up to 30% more effective than black bears in catching fish
- It is the official provincial mammal of British Columbia, Canada.
Mother And Cub Pose In The Wild
Bear Approaching Lava Lake
Looks Like A Polar Bear But Is Not
Relaxing In The Middle of A River